What is General Dentistry?
General dentistry provides for the ongoing care and treatment of your teeth and gums, so as to maintain good oral health. All oral health care needs are included in general dentistry, for instance gum care, dental fillings, root canals, crowns, veneers, bridges, and even education about good oral hygiene. The dentist will be your primary oral health care provider, and will help you to maintain the best possible oral health.
General Dentistry Procedures Performed by Ammons Dental
- Family Dentistry – family dentistry is beneficial for both dentist and family members, since it allows the entire family to receive their oral health care at a single location. That means all dental records will be stored in the same database, and it can allow for multiple family members to arrange for appointments in the same day for the sake of convenience. Family members from infants to seniors can all be treated under family dentistry.
- Root Canal – a root canal might be needed whenever a patient has a cracked tooth, an infected tooth, or some kind of issue with a previously-installed filling. It is a procedure that is intended to save or repair a tooth that has become badly damaged, as opposed to having the tooth extracted.
- Wisdom Tooth Removal – this is a surgical procedure which removes one or more wisdom teeth, which are the four adult teeth located at the back corners of your mouth. These teeth are generally removed if they show signs of decay, if they become infected, or if they cause damage to other teeth, such as by inhibiting their growth.
- Sedation Dentistry – sedation dentistry is used to help some fearful patients overcome their natural dread of going to the dentist or of dental procedures. Patients will be sedated either with laughing gas, a pill, or an IV which anesthetizes them for the duration of a dental procedure.
- Laser Dentistry – lasers are often used to remove the decayed part of a tooth, and to prepare it for the filling which will be installed. Lasers are also used to remove bacteria when it’s necessary to perform a root canal.
- Gum Reconstruction – this is a type of oral surgery which becomes necessary when gum recession has occurred, and it uses healthy gum tissue from the roof of the mouth to replace gum tissue which has receded from other areas.
- Gum Disease – when gums become infected, it can lead to tooth loss, and it increases the likelihood of heart and lung diseases. Gum disease is preventable through good oral hygiene and keeping scheduled dental appointments.
- Emergency Dentistry – dental emergencies include situations where a patient is experiencing extreme oral pain, where there is significant bleeding in the mouth, or when a patient has suffered some kind of oral trauma and it’s necessary to save a tooth.
- Dental Bridges – a dental bridge replaces one or more teeth in your mouth, and it relies on support from teeth in the surrounding area. The bridge will look and perform just like a normal tooth, and with a little practice, you can enjoy the same functionality as from a normal tooth.
Schedule an Appointment today!
If you need any of the above dental procedures performed, call us at Ammons Dental today
. We have offices conveniently located at Summerville, James Island, Downtown Charleston, and Camden so you won’t have to drive very far to keep your appointment. We’ll be glad to answer any questions you have about general dentistry, or to set you up with an initial appointment.